Renovating Your Home
IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE HIRING A CONTRACTOR FOR YOUR HOME IMPROVEMENT PROJECT
Home remodeling projects can be extremely complex and the success of such an endeavor largely depends on finding a trustworthy contractor. However, it’s not always easy to select your preferred option – whether that means asking friends for recommendations or checking online reviews. With so many potential choices, how do you decide which is right for you? Here are just some of the questions you should be asking before choosing a contractor.
1. Are you licensed and insured? With experience being important, you’ll also want to ensure that your contractor is certified and qualified. Make sure they have the certifications needed for them to handle the job properly – a business license isn’t enough as it only covers operating their own business rather than their competency in completing tasks.
2. How long have you been in the business? Are you licensed and insured? With experience being important, you’ll also want to ensure that your contractor is certified and qualified. Make sure they have the certifications needed for them to handle the job properly – a business license isn’t enough as it only covers operating their own business rather than their competency in completing tasks.
3. Can you provide references from previous clients? A good contractor would be proud to put you in contact with previous home improvement clients to attest to the quality work they provide- if ask them to connect you with a few references that can speak firsthand about their experience.
4. Will you be hiring subcontractors for any part of the project? When considering a contracting company, it is important to evaluate their capacity for work completion and whether they will employ subcontractors. It is essential that you know who the contracted partner business performing services on behalf of your contractor is, in order to identify any potential liabilities or insurance issues associated with the project’s workers.
5. What is your payment schedule and method of payment? When considering a contractor, always be sure to discuss the payment terms upfront. A reputable service provider will never require any funds paid in full prior to commencement of the project; checks, loan financing and credit cards are much safer approaches. You should also ask about their policies on late or extended payments – careful consideration now can save you time-consuming surprises down the road!
6. To ensure my property is safeguarded, what measures will you implement? With any renovation or remodeling project, it’s wise to ask your contractor in advance what precautions they’ll be taking to protect you and your property. You should inquire about the measures they’re going to take such as having workers wear shoe coverings inside and using tarps on furniture items. A good contractor will also advise if certain pieces of furniture need relocating for protection against damage during work hours, as well as ensuring that clean-up is taken care at the end of each day/project.
About Diane Casey Luong
As an award-winning, full-time Realtor®, Diane is a proven leader among Worcester MA real estate agents, fully committed to you and your property goals.
As a requested speaker, Diane educates audiences on topics such as the purchasing foreclosure properties, nuances of the real estate market from neighborhood to neighborhood, and understanding the ever-changing trends in the real estate industry.
A graduate of the Massachusetts Academy of Real Estate, Diane has brought her expertise in real estate to Worcester, MA, and its surrounding towns.
Diane Casey Luong
REMAX Advantage 1
25 Union Street
Worcester, MA 01608